A Day in the Life...of Me!

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Amazing Kitchen Remodel

As promised, I've returned to give you some pictures and details of my parents' amazing remodel of their 1889 farmhouse kitchen. As I said, it was a YEAR long remodel, and was done entirely by my parents (pretty amazing if you ask me!).

First, a little history of the house and my family.

The house is on a large acreage located in north central Iowa. It was built in the late 1880's, and was later purchased by my great-grandparents. My dad's dad, my grandpa, lived most of his childhood in the house, and my dad grew up on that farm as well. When my parents got married at the ripe age of 20, they moved right into the house. At that time it was a 4 room house, it was absolutely tiny. Soon after, my parents decided it was too small, and they needed to make some additions. They added on a second level with two bedrooms and a bathroom, as well as a very large family/living/great room. They were married 7 years before having my brother, and four years later they expanded their family by having me. The additions and remodels didn't stop after that. I can remember at least 2 other major remodels during my childhood, and now this amazing transformation. I wish I had a before picture to show you all.. (I'm going to see my mom this weekend, I'll see if I can come up with one to show.)

What they did:
First..they absolutely gutted the room. Down to the cinder blocks. Replaced all of the floor joists and re-laid them the opposite direction. They did this because the floor was never level, so my dad being a huge perfectionist (it's where I get it from!) decided it was necessary. They then laid a new subfloor, repurposed some of the old cupboards and then built new ones from scratch where old ones didn't work, then refaced the old and built custom doors and faces for the drawers. Changed the plumbing, and rewired the whole room. Installed new wood floors, painted, and installed a custom backsplash. The only thing they didn't do was install the granite countertops. (Again, I'll work on before pictures!)

And...what you've all been waiting for...the AFTER pictures!!


So...what does everyone think? Aren't my parents amazing? The backsplash is incredible!

Oh, and I also need some help with putting my email up on the side of my blog..can anyone help me out? I told you guys I'm green at this!

Thanks for reading, stop back soon!

Love, Kendra

2 Comments:

Blogger Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I'm a new blogger too, so I can't help you with the e-mail thing, but your parents kitchen is fabulous. I love the craftsmen style cabinets and the pass through that seem to suggest a family room on the other side. Thumbs up for your mom and dad.

March 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Incredible! I would love that backsplash, would you mind sending it over please?

For your email...go to customize..it is next to your dashboard...on the Layout tab, click on "add a gadget" and add "text" then just type in your email. It won't be a link but you can add it there. You can also click and drag your layout to where you want your email to be.

any other questions just email me...studiom1@bellsouth.net

~Misti

March 5, 2009 at 10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home